A Mastiff is not a X-Mas gift.
Before you purchase a Mastiff, whether at Gwenstone or somewhere else, we strongly recommend reading the following:
Study and look into the breed.
Do research, talk to different breeders. Although we are madly in love with the Mastiff and believe it to be the royal breed of the dog world, we also know that this breed, because of its size, is not suitable for everyone. Seek advice from different people, go to dog shows and speak with different breeders. Be aware of what you are bringing into your home for the next 10 years or so. Probably even for the rest of your life.
A good way to start with your research is at the website of The Mastiff Club of America
Know what you buy.
You're to pay a lot of money for your future Mastiff and, believe it or not, the Mastiff is a head breed, so yes, looks are important. It doesn't matter whether you're only interested in a family member or a very promissing show dog, studying the Mastiff Breed Standard is a good way to start knowing the breed.
Make sure your Mastiff is registered.
Unfortunately there are many non-bonafide Mastiff breeders in not only the United States, but all over the world. Although the Mastiff can be registered with full AKC registration and the Mastiff is a long time AKC recognized breed, you soon will find out that not everybody is willing to give you a standard AKC registration. Be very careful though. Anyone with a computer can give you a certificate saying that your Mastiff is a registered Mastiff and even give you a registration number. Take the time to research the breeder. Visit with the breeder. The pups should be AKC registered. Beward of the so-called American Mastiff. This is not a pure-bred Mastiff. It is a cross of Anatolian Shepherd and Mastiff. There is only ONE Mastiff.
Choose a good breeder and ask for good guarantees.
Choose a breeder you feel comfortable with for the next 10 years or even as we said before, probably for the rest of your life. Choose a breeder you can rely on when having questions about your Mastiff. Day and night !! At Gwenstone Mastiffs we put our sales / purchase agreement in writing. This will prevent any future misunderstandings and will let both parties know what is exactly expected of each other. A good foundation supports a long term relationship between breeder and owner.
What do we expect from you when you purchase a puppy from Gwenstone ?
We, at Gwenstone Mastiffs, are dedicated to the welfare and support of the Mastiff in general. Based on a more worldwide concern regarding the Mastiff, we prefer placing our puppies in homes with owners who are willing to consider the following:
• Feed the pup according to the guidelines set forth in the purchase contract. Protein should not exceed 25%. A balanced raw diet is preferred.
• Enroll the pup in Basic Obedience. Not only is the good for the pup as it allows socialization in a group environment, it is also good for the owner to have control over the pup as it matures, when it is necessary, Do not encourage the pup to become aggressive. We do not allow any of our pups to be trained as an Attack Dog.
• Under no circumstances are you, the owner, allowed to post any health issues on the various Message Boards. Although those boards can be fun, no one knows the lines like your breeder. All health related issues will be resolved by us and your vet. Deviation from this will lead to monetary damages which is specified in the purchase agreement. There is a Mastiff Health site which you are encouraged to join through Yahoo Groups. It is very informative and it is a serious site.
• Veterinary care. Prior to bringing home your pup, please interview veterinarians who have some knowledge with large breeds. There are many who will recommend a good, large breed vet in your area and there are sites on the Message Boards with this information.
• Mastiff puppies require extra care while they are in their growth stage. Children should be taught how to handle the pup and that it is not a toy. Accidents do and will happen. Every precaution should be taken to ensure the pup is being raised in a safe environment.
• We do not ship. If you wish to add a Gwenstone Mastiff puppy to your home, you will need to make arrangements for travel. We are located 1 hour south of Newark/Liberty International Airport and 1 hour north of Philadelphia.